Crane operation apprenticeship course
Duration: 2 years
Structure: 12 weeks training plus on-the-job experience
Location: Bircham (Norfolk) and your workplace
Date: Continuous start dates available
Funding: See Grants and funding below
This apprenticeship course is for people who want to gain an academic qualification in crane operating, while gaining professional experience.
You'll learn to operate various cranes safely and efficiently, and to carry out basic maintenance and checks.
You’ll also learn about the duties of an ‘appointed person’, how to conduct risk assessments and how to produce method statements.
The course covers practical principles in:
You’ll learn basic skills, knowledge and awareness in:
You’ll also focus on personal skills in:
Teaching and assessment
- 12 weeks training: you'll learn through a mix of classroom-based theory and practical training
- Theory and practical assessments.
- Work-based experience with your employer
- A site visit to assess you for the NVQ level 2 in Plant Operations.
Our assessment team will track you on-site for the first category of plant selected by your employer for conversion to the NVQ and the full Construction Plant Competence Scheme (CPCS) competent operator card (blue card).
Qualifications you gain
- NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Plant Operations (Construction)
- Level 2 Certificate in Plant Operations
- Construction Plant Competence Scheme (CPCS) trained operator card (red card)
- Level 1 functional skills
- Employment responsibilities and rights
- Personal learning and thinking skills.
Mandatory entry requirements
No formal requirements, but it’s useful to have Maths and English GCSE Grades 3-9 or D-A .
To help us assess your suitability for the course, you'll need to:
- Complete a skills learning exercise and possibly attend the college for further tests
- Complete a questionnaire and take part in an informal discussion.
- Good communication skills
- Physical fitness
- A head for heights
- Technical competence.
You will be paid while you learn.
The following CITB grants are available for employers to fund their apprentices on this course:
If you applied for your apprenticeship through the Education and Skills Funding Agency, only applicants aged between 16 and 18 who have not been placed on a training scheme before are guaranteed full funding.
Need more information?
Contact one of our account managers
Or phone Course booking line: 0344 994 4433
After this course
You can be assessed for higher NVQs at the National Construction College. We provide details to all trainees.