Construction employer frameworks for ex-offenders in Wales (commission)
Careers and recruitment, Learning resources
BAM Nuttall UK
Lovell; Jones Bros; Willmott Dixon; Keltbray; Brenig Construction; CECA Wales; NFB Cymru; NFRC; NOMS in Wales; HMP and YOI Parc; Wales Community Rehabilitation Company; Llamau, Wrexham Warehouse Project; Cardiff & Vale College; Construction Youth Trust
Commercial, Housing, Infrastructure, Specialist
Commission: Employer led training and employment pathways into construction for ex-offenders. The project will map existing training / employment provision for ex-offenders.
It will develop tailored frameworks encompassing employers, offender management services, training and third sector to detail clear pathways into construction employment. The frameworks will reflect existing skills shortages and upcoming needs across Wales.
- Develop best practice guidance and a toolkit on employing ex-offenders to be hosted on the GoConstruct website in English and Welsh
- Develop tailored frameworks and tested using a range of pilots across the Welsh regions to determine what works well and not so well
- Pilot resources with 15 projects.
31 Jan 2017
31 Dec 2018
There were 11 pilots undertaken, one in each of the National Probation Services regions in Wales which resulted in 170 ex-offenders being engaged at careers events, workshops and industry days. Of these 61 people obtained Health & Safety accreditation, 53 obtained CSCS cards and 22 progressed into employment, education or training.
The main outcome for construction companies has been the increased confidence and ability to support ex-offenders into construction jobs. For ex-offenders it has been an increased awareness of the opportunities available in the industry.
The project has produced a number of case studies, a Clean Slate Cymru Toolkit and a Best Practice Guide which are freely available to industry - see links below.
- Download the Clean Slate Cymru Toolkit (PDF, 706KB)
- Lawrlwytho Dogfen: Pecyn Cymorth Llechen Lân Cymru (PDF 790KB)
- Download the Best Practice Guide (PDF, 1MB)
Frameworks and evaluation documents
- Evaluation and case study report (PDF 1.1MB)
- Gwent ex-offenders into construction framework (PDF 503KB)
- North Wales ex-offenders into construction framework (PDF 800KB)
- South Wales 1 ex-offenders into construction framework (PDF 801KB)
- South Wales 2 ex-offenders into construction framework (PDF 551KB)